about

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

1st UP

As a young ambitious person, it is very easy to scoff at the notion of experience, and different avenues that experience can help you in. Experience is not necessarily going through a mistake and learning from it, it is also learning from other people and acknowledging and respecting their experience, and gaining an edge in that regard. Obviously we are thinking people and should take note and acknowledge the advice and make a judgement call on the in respect of your personal situation.

So how does the opening paragraph tie in with toady's blog, and incidentally the title as well,......here is how, Last weekend I completed my 1st race. It was the CSIR 10km race. I finished in a time of 1 hr and 7 mins, not a time I am pleased with because my rate is 8.95km/h. I would prefer a rate of 10km/h.

From what I understand the CSIR 10kay is rather difficult race and the time coupled with it being my 1st race ever is a pretty good thing. The thing that i learnt from the race was that the start is very hectic, with everybody moving along you are basically walking the start, and this frustrated me to no end, after about the 1km, I got to settle into my pace and the positive thing is that I probably did a rate greater than my final time indicated considering the slowness of the start. Towards the end of the race I really began enjoying other peoples company and eventually didn't want the race to end.

I had set aside 1 day to train hills (experince from other long distance runners), the result of that was that on race day I was making up quite abit on the other people when it came to the hill sections. My custom suited running shoes felt like I was running on air, I in fact paid less for custom quality pair of running shoes than if I had to go to the more reknowned sport stores. (good shoes and visiting a store specilaising in running shoes is learning expeince gained from other long distance runners)

The most important thing that I learnt was to control my temper, just to chill and enjoy the run. I am now looking forward to my next race.

I have gone abit ape and entered quite a few races but all this is to complete a marathon in November......5 weeks time, hectic!

No comments:

Post a Comment