about

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Running bug - new challenge

I have not placed a post on this blog for the last year and a half. The reason is that I have not done anything exciting from a personally challenging perspective. I have not attempted a personally physically challenging undertaking due to studying commitments, which I will hopefully complete this year.

So late last year my cousin informs me that he would like to undertake and complete the comrades marathon and asked me for advice. At roughly the same time I am intrigued by the prospect of running in minimalist shoes specifically those vibram 5 finger items. The sources of this intrigue are the book "born to run", the website "Marks daily apple" and general curiosity. The last point is the reason I keep cats, and not those pretty cats the really ugly ones who work for your attention.

So my challenge is to train with my cousin and focus on comrades 2015. He is starting from a flat base and I shall be starting with these minimalist shoes. Points that I have learnt in my time of completing 2 comrades.
- You do not need to train every day or painfully hard
-When you do train the training must be beneficial
- Allow lots of rest and recovery
- Include some sort of gyming (I used to have excellent sessions at the "Real world Fitness" crossfit box. I have not gone there for a few reasons the main one being laziness with I attribute to owning cats)
- cross training with sports like swimming, cycling, hiking

I plan on starting a website outlining my own wisdom with respect to what I have learnt in all my endeavours and shall post it when it is available. I hope the website becomes beneficial to those who feel extreme physical undertakings are not for them and only for people who are bio - mechanically set up. I was and am still quite a chubby item. (I cannot make this sentence less fluffy)

I have sent Dr.Tim Noakes an e-mail with respect to this carbohydrate intolerance theory that he speaks off and it seems like a viable solution for myself. I have read the Lore of Running(Dr Noake's book) and the medical fraternity seem to be behaving like bullies which forced me to take him more seriously.

Why would i look at a high fat/protein and minimal carbohydrate diet to improve my running performance.........because the current wisdom hasn't worked. I shall test the theory on myself and give feedback with respect to the progress.

I have continued running across the last 1,5 years and my 10km times have remained stable but there has been no improvement.

My vital signs are good but my weight has increased but not to an out of control proportion. About 20% of my club members who participated in a particularly hot 2013 comrades race completed in under 11 hours. These athletes physical layout was quite lean (this seems rather obvious.....refer to the bio-mechanical excuse above) and if the conditions were better would have completed in a better time. Their 10km times were definitely less that 50mins. I think this should be my target and will refine this target as the training goes forward.

Yours in running

1 comment:

  1. Good read. Looking forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete